Practices are vital to the Dragon Boat experience. Practice time will help your team become familiar with the boat and learn the technique, as well as master timing. The more team members showing for practice, the better your team performs on race day. Each team gets to practice at the McFarland Park beach area with trained coaches the week prior to race day. Practice time requests will be filled on a first come, first served basis depending on the order of team registration.
What to Wear:
- You WILL get wet. Wear appropriate clothing.
- Comfortable, quick drying shorts and dri-fit shirts are most convenient
- Sport sandals, or water shoes are recommended such as Tevas, Crocs, etc. (Tennis shoes are too heavy).
- Life vests will be provided
- Hat or visor to keep the sun out of your eyes.
- Sunscreen/ sunglasses
- In case of rain, bring rain gear
- Consider bringing a towel and extra change of clothes
Each team will race at least two times on race day. You will get a race schedule at the mandatory team captain meeting showing what time your team races in the first heat. After the first heat, all teams will be seeded according to their race times for the second heat. After both heats, the top teams with the best overall times (based on average of two races) will race for the championship. The best times from the final races will determine the winners.
Every paddler and drummer must sign a waiver. You will NOT be allowed to participate without a signed waiver. Participants under 18 must have parent/guardian sign their waiver.
What to Bring
- Each team will have a space in the Athlete’s Village labeled with your company/team name. You may bring (1) 10×10 tent.
- Chairs, tables, decorations, snacks, footballs, sunscreen, hat, garbage bag for your tent area, towels, comfortable shoes, change of clothes if you do not want to be wet all day.
- Food vendors will be available to purchase lunch and drinks. Or you may bring your own picnic lunch for your team.
What NOT to bring
Alcohol. It would severely dehydrate you and make paddling dangerous. Plus it is not allowed in the park.